Tuesday, May 30, 2006

iHeart my new iPod!

Reason #5,675 why my partner is the coolest: he came home Friday night and surprised me with a brand new shiny black video playing iPod!!!!! (wonderfully generous and a master of some very stealthy money-saving maneuvers!)

I've wanted one of these puppies ever since they first came out, so I'm thrilled to finally get a seat at the cool kid's table (even though I'll fill it up with books on tape instead of cool music .. shh, don't tell the cool kids!)

My brother filled me in on the iTunes basics, but I'm still trying to figure out how the video stuff works.

Do any of y'all know what to do when a video loads onto the iPod without sound?

I've been trawling the Web for ideas, checking all my usual how-to tech haunts (see below), but I'm mostly finding solutions that require more software. Any ideas that would let me just use QuickTime, but have it work?? (I'm running Windows XP).

And since I can't resist teaching you things, even when I'm asking questions, here are my fave places to find gadgety guides on the Web:
  • Ars Technica -- a goldmine of techlore aimed at "power users and the tools they want" (my favorite is the Dissection section where they take apart components to show you the innards -- behold the guts of the iPod)
  • W3C Schools -- a rare case where the biggest ("the largest web developer's site on the net") is also the best and, even better, entirely FREE!
  • CNET -- one-stop-shopping for all your geek know-how (this link goes to the How To's)
This last one's a little off topic, but I've been doing a ton of web stuff lately and I love this thing:
Thanks in advance for the iPod video tips ... woo hoo for my new iPod!!!!

UPDATE:

Matt figured it out!! (the video with no sound thing) ... generous, stealthy AND a genius! I'm so lucky.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Very nice! I originally was lusting after the 30 or 60GB Video iPod, but have recently changed gears. The 4GB nano is now currently the object of my affection. Mostly because it'd be better for strapping to my arm while exercising.

I'd love to be able to listen to an NPR or ESPN podcast while I'm running. Or that thing called music. I've heard that's good too. :)

tuckmac said...

WOW!

Okay... So Matt is just a bit TOO cool!

Yay for your new iPod! Enjoy!

-- T